Monday, October 02, 2006

A thought

From Sister Hinckley's book:

"The Trick is to enjoy life. Don't wish away your days, waiting for better ones ahead."

She then quotes Philippians 4:11 "Now that I speak in respect of want; for I have learned in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content."

I think this is an important lesson! I tend to be someone who always hopes to get around the bend ahead--thinking that it will be a better place than where I am now. I have started to try to recognize this behavior and I try to convince myself that the grass in NOT greener on the other side of the fence.

I learned something in conference on Saturday which ties into this quote. Dallin H. Oaks spoke about topics related to healing, the Atonement, and heavy burdens. He said that the Atonement was not just about suffering for our sins, but that it was also about suffering from the mental, physical, and emotional burdens that we suffer during life.

Since I was a little girl, I have always combined two principles (1) God knows the end from the beginning and (2) Christ suffered for the sins of the world. Since my childhood, I have tried to avoid sins, the kind of sins that would have contributed pain to the Savior's suffering. But I have not always embraced trials and tribulations with joy, happiness, and peaceful contentment. I have, during different parts of life, found myself in dark moments of despair not knowing where to turn (or at least not wanting to turn to the place where I know I should). I always knew that I could turn to the Savior as a comforter and as a source of peace, but I haven't connected that comfort to the Atonement. I know that I am in charge of my emotions and that sometimes it feels good to be sad or mad or angry or depressed or whatever--because it connects me to humanity. But the realization that Christ suffered in the Garden for all of those negative emotions that I cycle through--means that it is time for me to step it up! It is time, as Sister Hinckley suggested, to learn to enjoy life at every crossroad. People are always commenting on President Hinckley's optimism and happiness--I am going to try and follow that example!

Brittan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home